Dec 17, 2007

Malpais

Okay, I've got lots to update on. First of all, 2 weekends ago, the weekend of the 7th, we went to Malpais for Kate's last weekend. :( It's also located on the Nicoya Peninsula, a little bit further from Montezuma. Since we arrived pretty late in the evening, we just decided to stay at a place near where the bus dropped us off. This seems to happen a lot I've realized, the extreme difficulty of finding food! We were super hungry by then, but of course everything was closed, EXCEPT, luckily, this one shish kebab making place. pretty delish.

We walked back and just decided to chill b/c we were soooo tired. Well, just Jamie, Rach and I stayed, and of course we were the ones who all took drammamine! Next time, none of that. But it was a good thing we didn't go out b/c the girls said they walked for miles in complete darkness without finding anything.. Okay, so next door this Hawaiian surfer guy just moved there to teach surf lessons and he had the CUTEST and teeniest gatito in the world! I say this all the time, but we were sooo close to just taking it with us in one of our pockets. I'm sure it would've fit.

The next morning, feeling nice and refreshed, we had a delish Mediterranean brunch then walked to Playa Carmen, which was just a mini caminata through the pretty trees. By the way, although it was pretty during the day, it would've been soo scary walking through this at night.

And here's the beach. Not as beautiful as other beaches here in CR, but that's only because it's known here for its surfing.

And here are the boys taking lessons from Polly, the neighbor with the cat, and from whom they said they learned absolutely nothing.

While the chicas, of course, laid on the beach all day and played in the waves.

The cutest little pup came crawling up to us and he attacked my cam with his tongue! But I forgave him :) I swear, all the beaches in CR are teeming with cute little animals. It makes me happy to be surrounded by such innocent little creatures.

After awhile, b/c we couldn't take the blazing sun any longer (it was soooo hot!), we went back to the room and danced away to our song "Better together" by Jack Johnson.

The song totally represents our group b/c it portrays how close we became and how much like siblings we are... it was definitely sad thinking that Kate would be leaving so soon that Monday!
Later we went back to the beach to watch yet another amazing sunset. It really fascinates me how you can actually watch the sun move down little by little in just a matter of minutes. Lookie.

After 3 minutes...

After 2 minutes...

After 1 minute...

And it's gone just like that!

I love this picture here b/c first of all, the tree is completely covered in spines, which is rare, and secondly, the sky in the background!

So the boys were actually considering renting a jeep for the night...if you saw this sign, you'd want to do it too.

But if you saw how janky those jeeps were, you'd change your mind. Look, this one doesn't even have a door on the driver's seat! super ghetto.

That night, we went to Santa Teresa, which is the beach/town right down the road, to go to the only club poppin that night. It was fun, but I've never felt so sweaty and gross in my life! AND it smelled like sweat and smoke...gross!

So some random guy who told me he's had a crush on me ever since he saw me on the beach (which, by the way, I had no idea who he was) put his sweaty hat on my head. I already felt gross so I figured I might as well pose haha.

The next day, we ate brunch at a yummy little cafe, where I had a really delish salad (sauteed spinach, mushrooms, broccoli, peppers, etc) And I was definitely in need of that that morn.

We went to the beach one final time then left for home... Since it was Kate's last night, we decided to get food together and hang out at Zack's apt. But I don't think we've ever had so much trouble getting food in our lives. And by that time, we were starving! But pretty much everything was closed, and so, as an extremely desperate and last resort, we had to get taco bell! But even that was a huge effort. We had to wait like 40 minutes just to catch a cab, then order tons of food, bring it back... And here we are, chowing down like animals.

And look at that monton of nastiness. I can't believe I had to eat that, even though I, personally, only ate fries. But still, our tum tums were sure feelin it the next morning. Nunca jamas. I'd rather starve next time...
THEN the time finally came for us to say our goodbyes to Kate... we were feeling so delirious and crazy by that time, that there wasn't even much to say. Just tears...It was weird, but her departure hadn't really even hit me until a few nights later when we went out to dinner and she wasn't there. :( It's starting...the saying of goodbyes to everyone. I duno how I'll feel being one of the only ones staying around doing the same things as before.. but now WITHOUT my friends with me. Ahhhh

No comments: