Dec 3, 2007

Montezuma

It's now Monday, the start of a new week, and boy is it going to be long. From Bocas to Montezuma (with just a couple days of class in between), it seems like I've just had a really long vacation, which is why it was suuuuper tough getting up this morning.

Anyhoots, so this weekend we went to a beach town on the Gulf of Nicoya, a place I could definitely call home. It sure was a doozy trying to get there, pero totalmente valio la pena. So, we missed the direct bus from SJ, so we had to first take a bus to Puntarenas, where we would take the ferry across the gulf. BUT they had just changed the schedule, and so we had to wait there for about 2 hours. It wasn't too bad though b/c we chilled with our beers oh and met some guy with the funniest laugh pretending to be a waiter (but in fact was just some normal drunk dude). Look what I saw as I was walking over...sooo adorable!

During the ride over we met some guy who hooked us up with a taxi to Montezuma (which was a blessing b/c there would have been no buses or taxis by the time we arrived). But this guy was a weirdo, kept telling me how beautiful I was and even asked for a besito when he left! Even though he offered us free jet skis, no way.. Okay so we finally arrived at our hotel, and thank goodness someone was awake and there were rooms available! Perfect too. A room of 5 for the 5 chicas, and a room of 3 for the 3 chicos.

The next day, breakfast included some bomb diggity gallo pinto con aguacate and a little encounter with un mono! Haha he caught me watching him eat his banana.

Ademas, we immediately made friends with the coolest bartender, Roger. Then we tried to go to the beach he recommended us, but instead we fell upon our own private little beach that we called Booby Beach. (booby b/c we got to tan topless! even though there were quite a few passer-byers haha.)

It was complete paradise. The sun was shining and hot, the water cool and crystal clear, while we, of course, felt free as birds.

After we baked in the sun for a couple of hours, we walked into town, which is super tiny and super cute, and went to one of the yummiest restaurants ever, Organico, which is completely organic and vegetarian. So I was in heaven of course. I never had so many choices of delicious food in my life! AND how cool is this, the owner is from San Fran and she even worked at a restaurant in Berkeley! This is one of the reasons why this place can my new home. So I ended up chosing a yummy salad. Check out that color.

While we were there I saw the TINIEST dog I've ever seen...which looked like a little old man!

After some R&R, we went back to Booby Beach to watch yet another gorgeous sunset.

That night we went out to the only club around, se llama Chico's. (now you can imagine how teeny the town was). It was sooo much fun. I met 3 cute Ticos who all happened to be brothers! or half, I'm not sure. But what are the chances! especially they didn't tell me til much later. AND the one who I spent most of the night with, who was a little too pushy although still flattering, was named Christopher! And some of you may know that I have a really weird affinity for Chris's. Then of course we ran into our bartender there.. and here we are with him.

The night went on as usual...
The next morning, a very tough morning (and Roger totally new that all of us had gomas!), we took a walk to the waterfalls, which is one of the aspects Montezuma is best known for. That caminata sure was a tough one! (And my legs are REALLY sore today) But again, valio la pena. It was gorgeous and the water was fresh and cool.

Some guy actually had the guts to climb all the way up those slippery rocks and jump off! I could barely watch him climb it and when he jumped, I even felt that adrenaline rush haha.

On the ferry back, I saw a really gorgeous view of the ocean/sky, of course making me think how sucky it was to be returning back to SJ...

No comments: