Nov 15, 2007

Semana Numero 7

Let's see, so Monday we went to el Cuartel of course...We had to show our band that we still loved them because I'm sure they were sad when they didn't see us there in front of the stage the last time. It was super fun, claro.

So I actually like my new teacher, the official avanzado 1 teacher, muuuuuuch better than the sub. She's pretty strict (for instance, she doesn't like us being late and she even got mad at one of my classmates for yawning slightly loudly!) BUT at least I'm learning waay more and she actually allows us to talk without making funny faces at us when we say something incorrectly. As the sub did...

Tuesday, hmm well let's just say that one of the worst possible things that could've happened to us happened to us. Basically, the bar Roots that I had raved so much about is now on my "no me gusta listo." If you want to hear what happened, just email me and I'll be happy to share another crazy story. :)

Wednesday we went to a documentary on the extermination of sharks at the University of Costa Rica. Man, I miss being on a real campus! With big lecture halls, lots of students, a cute college town, etc. Veritas doesn't even seem like a university; it's smaller than my elementary school! Anyways, so this documentary basically talked about the mass massacre of sharks and other marine animals. I had no idea that this illegal hunting had been going on, AND there's a black market that exists between CR and Taiwan! Apparently, shark fins are considered a sign of wealth in many Asian countries, especially China (freakin Chinese! haha jk), in which the shark fins are most often cooked in soups. (which I'm never eating again!) They are also highly sought after b/c they're believed to prevent cancer and other illnesses, even though no scientific evidence exists to prove this. It's really a shame that these innocent animals are being slaughtered JUST for their fins then carelessly thrown back into the ocean to suffer and be eaten by other animals. The movie really changed my perspective of sharks; I used to think they were such scary monsters (which is exactly what the media intended), but I now realize that they're just another innocent animal swimming in the sea, highly influencing its ecosystem and contributing to our livelihood here on earth.

After that, we went to one of the most delicious restaurants that I've ever been to, Tin Ho. It serves a mixture of almost all different Asian styled foods, which I haven't had here much yet, and in a really cute ambiance too. We immediately ordered a liter of sake b/c we were all so shooken up from that movie! Haha. I had ma po tofu, which was muy rico! Oh how I had been missing tofu so much...

Thursday I had to skip the soccer game, Veritas against ULACIT, because of course I had waited til the last minute to do my power point presentation for marine bio, which I was supposed to do this weekend during our field trip. At least I finished in time to go to Rachel's roomie's b-day party! It was so fun hanging out with new people, some from Mexico, some from Guatemala, and other gringos. Rachel's roomies get pretty crazy, but crazy sure means fun!

The next day my spanish class went to El Museo de Ninos, which was pretty interesting and HUGE. They basically had all sorts of info about everything, from the solar system, the CR culture, how mummies get mummified, to how the banana is cultivated and harvested. Once we got back to school, I had to rush home to pack for my field trip to Playa Grande!

No comments: