Oct 7, 2007

Mi Primera Semana

So I've gotten through my first week of school fantabulously! Fortunately, having 4 hours of spanish for 5 days a week isn't as bad as I had expected. It's mostly a lot of talking with my other classmates about whatevs, we have a 30 minute recess in between hours, and every week I'm pretty sure that we will be watching a movie. This week we watched "Como Agua Para Chocolate," or Like Water For Chocolate, a love story set in Mexico. Latin American films are intensely dramatic and quite bizarre at times, but I enjoy them a lot.

Surprisingly, I have been eating sooooo well here. I totally expected to be eating rice and beans every freakin day. But no! I'm actually pretty darn spoiled and lucky because mi mama is a wonderful cook, having traveled all over the world and learned various cooking techniques. So she has been cooking me all kinds of foods. Here I'm eating my first empanada! It's a typical CR dish for lunch, a handmade tortilla filled with beans (and usually meat as well).
And here is another one of her yummy dishes. Fish filet and all types of veggies.

Yesterday I went with one of my classmates, Marion, to San Jose to try to visit el Museo del Oro for a mini class project. Unfortunately, it was closed, AND it was the rainiest and stormiest weather I had been in for quite some time. All of the Ticos were staring at us like we were crazy Americans running around in the rain trying to find our way around...but we had a lot of fun nonetheless :)
That night our school hosted a Bienvenidos fiesta for all of the students. There were dance performances, a live local band, and lots of beer being sold haha.
Later that night we went to a club called Castros, where we danced the night away yet again! I love this country! :)

No comments: