Oct 12, 2007

Semana Numero Dos

This last week was pretty mellow for me... I've basically just been attending my classes every morning, which isn't as bad as I had expected at all. I actually enjoy waking up early every day because it frees the entire day up for exploring around town, hanging out with friends, resting or cualquiere I feel like doing. I love my spanish class and I'm learning a lot, which is good, but my Marine Bio class is a bit boring right now...It's because at the moment we're learning about geology, physical/chemical features of the ocean, blah blah. I'm sure it'll get more interesting once we start studying the different marine animals in the ocean, not to mention our field trips! I've been attending the free latin dance classes the school offers as well, which are sooooo fun! We've learned the merengue, salsa, bachata, and cumbia so far, which I've definitely been putting to good use at all the clubs. And it is absolutely hilarious watching some of the gringo boys try to shake their hips!

Oh I forgot, I did feel deadly sick one night. Actually, it was morning. Starting at about 4am, I was puking my guts out and had to run to the bathroom all morn. Luckily though, I have my own bathroom! I must have caught some kind of stomach bug, but surprisingly and gratefully, I actually felt completely fine by that afternoon. So I'm all good now! :)

I went shopping at a couple of really nice malls, where I saw Bourne Ultimatum (2 for the price of 1 every Wed!), which was such a badass movie that I even had the urge to beat someone up! haha. One night we went out to a super delish peruvian restaurant.
I had fish of course.
Then on Thursday our school hosted their annual Dia de Las Culturas, which was a festival for Costa Rica's Dia de Las Razas (Race Day), a national holiday that not only commemorates Colombus' discovery of America, but also the fact that Costa Rican culture has been strongly influenced by the settlement and presence of Indians, Europeans, Africans and Asians. So there were traditional foods being served, live dance and music performances, such as this heartfelt one, which was performed by students from a special-ed school.

They also had a sexy lil belly dancing performance.
I wouldn't say it was the most awesome set of performances I've seen, but it sure beat sitting in an uncomfortable chair for 4 hours.

That night, we went to Jazz Cafe for one of my friend's birthday, where a really good live jazz band played.. in quite a romantic ambiance I must say. Dim red lights, candles everywhere, couples making out...
Then we went to Castro's club yet again, where we danced a bit, and then decided to make absolute FOOLS out of ourselves singing drunk karaoke! Someone even called out "basura" to us, which means trash, while we were up there doin our thang. haha, we totally deserved it though. We probably won't be showing our faces there for quite some time...

No comments: