Oct 30, 2007

Monteverde y Jaco

This past weekend we had our 3rd, and final included, excursion to the "cloud forest" of Monteverde. It was about 5 hours from San Jo, and we went through some pretty windy and bumpy roads (so it was a good thing I took 2 drammamine pills to knock me out!) And since it was up in the mountains, it was freakin COLD! Well it was probably just like Berkeley weather, warm during the day and bitingly chilly at night, but since I'm already so accustomed to the warm and humid weather that CR is known for, it was pretty uncomfortable, especially since I hadn't thought to pack with me any of my warm clothes.

Despite the cold weather, I most def had tons of fun! Saturday I went on 2 tours, one was a canopy tour and the other ATV. Canopying through the forest was really fun, especially since once again, all the tour guides were such guapos! Here is one of them explaining to us what to do. As you can see, once you're strapped to a harness, you zipline through the trees at pretty high heights.

They also had a "tarzan" swing, which was really scary at first because they basically push you off the platform, no matter how chicken you are. But nonetheless, it was an awesome adrenaline rush. Here's Rachie!

In our second tour, we were able to ride on ATVs! Those were sooo much fun, and I felt like such a badass driving through the rocks and mud. haha.

Our tour guide really freaked us out at first, though, because he basically told us there's a good chance we could die on them if we aren't careful. That's why we had to wear such ginormous helmets. :0 BUT we all survived to have a blast on them and to be able to see an AMAZING view. Here I am!

And here WE are! Perfect for putting on a postcard.

That night, all of ISA took over the hotel, yet again, and we spent the whole night playing flip cup, dancing to hip hop (finally!), and teaching people how to thizz face again haha. This kid was a cutie and everyone wanted him to be their boyfriend.

Eww and I saw the hugest scorpion!

Okay, so then Sunday, since we didn't have class Monday morning, some of us decided to take a trip to Jaco, the beach town closest to San Jo, where we found a place to stay for only $10/night! I personally don't like the beach because it's dirty, rocky, and the water isn't as pretty nor clear as other beaches here in CR.

The sky was pretty gorgeous, though.

That night I was able to eat sushi for the first time here in CR! Surprisingly, it actually wasn't that bad, but definitely not comparable to back home...which I miss terribly! And to make things even better, we were serenaded by a mariachi band who sang us la bamba! :)

After din din, we went to the Beatle Bar, a bar dedicated to the Beatles! (cool huh pops?) I was really excited to go, BUT unfortunately, I soon learned that it is now the hot spot for old creepy men to pick up prostitutes! It was really interesting to watch the couples interact with one another, but kind of sad as well. And of course we had to take a pic with one of the stripper poles! haha.

The 4 of us who had class in the afternoon left early Monday morning, but the bus ride was much longer (and nauseatingly bumpy) than we had expected, so we ended up missing the whole class anyway! Oh wells, at least our prof was really chill and understanding. So, once again, I had yet another incredibly fun weekend here in CR!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

one time when i went atv'ing in mexico, i hit a bump, flipped over and scarred my leg.