Oct 7, 2007

Puerto Viejo!


This weekend was my first trip out of San Jo, one of my many mini vacays during my time here in CR. It was awesome...and I didn't want to leave! Look how beautiful it is there. So don't be surprised if you find me living there some day. We went to the CUTEST beach town on the Caribbean coast of the region of Limon, called Puerto Viejo, where it was so humid and hot that there was no point in me ever showering. So I didn't really. haha. But neither did anyone else, so it's all good! The bus ride there was about 4 hours long, which wasn't too too bad, since I slept for most it, but about halfway through it, you could tell how dramatically different the temperature was from San Jo.

The people there were mainly from Afro-Caribbean descent...the only music they listen to is Bob Marley! well and a few other reggae jams. All were super chill, friendly, and smoked ganja all day long! But when we were at one of the clubs, it seemed that a lot of them were on some other craaazy drugs. Maybe that's what allows them to create such beautiful works of art! Here are some of them. A wall painting of dancers in this one
And this is my friend's new smoking device, handmade.
We stayed in this place called Rocking J's, which was only $6/night to sleep in our own tents, first time for me in quite awhile, but was pretty much all that we would've asked for. However, I never really got any sleep because one, we didn't go to bed until really late, two because there was a freakin rooster that crowed from 3 in the morn until the break of dawn, and three, it was unbareably hot to keep sleeping past 8 in the morn. Oh wells, sleep is overrated anyways.

The first night we went to a cute little restaurant, where I ate the yummiest and freshest tuna that I've had in quite some time. I went with 9 other really nice, friendly and chill peeps, who I got to know pretty well this weekend. And here's the gang! It was such a fun bonding experience.
The next day, we laid out on the beach, snorkeled, went out to eat, and shopped around town. Here is me with my new amiga, Kate. The water was so incredibly warm and clear! But unfortunately, I didn't get to see as many cool fish as I had hoped.
and then later that night, one of my friend's friends invited us over to his house for a BBQ. It was so interesting hanging out with local Ticos, experiencing what the "party" life of the people living there was like. To sum up how crazy and hilarious it was, all of the gringo boys were caught with their pants at their ankles, having to dance around in circles!

All in all, it was a relaxing, fun and unforgettable weekend. I already can't wait to go back! And now I have to wake up early to go to class at 8 in the morn...

No comments: